This was something which happened about 2 years ago. It was a swelteringly hot afternoon in “singara” Chennai. But the vettis and I were as always not studying and loafing around bessi. It was time for our daily stint at the beach and we were all sitting at 1 bum’s place. This bum wanted to learn how to drive my 1991 LML Vespa when he couldn’t tell a clutch from a brake! I obliged and sat him in the front. I expected him to do the usual:

1. Make me kick start cos he’s too weak to do it himself.

2. Complain about the lousy positioning of the brake and asymmetric heaviness of the vehicle due to the one sided engine.

3. Put vehicle in 1st gear, rev up more than necessary, release clutch and swear as the scooter lurches him forward before turning off.

1 and 2 happened as usual. But when he came to 3, he somehow managed to take the clutch wire as a casualty...I swore at him and we went inside after parking dear old Vespa.

The small hand of the clock was almost at 5. We were getting restless. It was time for our daily dosage of beach so we could get high and stay put on our backsides till one of our moms called and screamed telling us to come home pronto. So we tell bum to stay at home while I drop the other vetti K off on his(bum’s) bike and come back.

We’re cruising along the beach road at 40 Kmph, when a volley ball comes into our sight. K screamed his lungs out at me to slow down. Being the self assured driver that I am, I pay no heed and go on.

Half a second is a very short period of time. But its Long enough to realize that I was a fool and should’ve braked earlier. I saw my life flash past me(kidding :P ) as I ran over the ball and fell on my hand. My thumb took a large amount of the pressure and was twisted back. I got up and sat on the sidewalk groaning with pain. Most passersby were disinterested. After all, it was an accident involving 2 GUYS. Why would they care?! A few minutes later a couple of joggers came and asked if I was ok. I said I had to be taken to a hospital and get my hand checked out. One of them moved it around a bit and said “you’re fine get going”. But I knew my pain. I told K to get me to the Asian hospital 2 streets away. He obliged and took me there. X ray reports were made and a doc was consulted. He told me it was a Benet’s fracture and I’d have to put a cast on for 6 weeks.

You can imagine the reaction I got back at home. What with the entrance exams in less than a week! I was pretty depressed myself. But this part has a happy ending and I'm currently sitting in a pretty good college. But the incident was a major blow to my confidence as it was my first accident, and it happened to be on a sissy scooterette. This after boasting to anyone and everyone who listened to my exploits driving at 150 kmph(readers from abroad, that speed is pretty high in India). Every time I try to show off now, I’m made to shut up by being reminded about this one incident! Darn you dingbats!

So kids, a word of advice; you may drive fast and recklessly, but watch out for stray volley balls when you drive near the beach.Not cos they might screw up your exams but cos you can never brag abt your driving skills again :P